回答

收藏

[未分类] How I got into the Stanford Psycholgoy Phd 一个外国学生的申请经验

申请案例 申请案例 2823 人阅读 | 0 人回复 | 2012-09-23

以下这个人叫Eran,被Stanford录取了之后,专门建了个网站来介绍自己的申请经历,里面还有他的resume和PS。
http://www.howigotintostanford.com/

尽管是非心理学出身,他里面提到的一些东西或许值得我们学习

背景
BA in "Human Resource Management" (Behavioral Science and Business Administration) from Ben-Gurion University in Israel
Math: 780 - 89th percentile
Analytical: 800 - 97th percentile
Verbal: 570 - 78th percentile
3.0" in the 1-4 GPA
他的Resume
他的PS

Research Experience
Early along the way, I noticed that many of the universities instructed applicants to describe their "research experience" in the applications they send in. As I mentioned before, I had absolutely no prior research experience, and very little idea about how to obtain it. But just how important was it?

Here's an excerpt from a letter I received from Ms. Abramson, the Director of Graduate Studies in the University of Wisconsin-Madison (one of the friendliest and most service-oriented places I've had the pleasure of interacting with).

Dear Eran,
Prior research counts very much in admission. It is almost necessary for admission. In some cases the prior research can compensate for mediocre grades and GREs

Whoa. Obviously, in my case (considering my BA average) this research experience could make a big difference. And it did. All the universities and professors I've spoken with emphasized how important prior research experience is for them.

尽管他本科没什么研究经历,但他积极地联系各个学校的心理系,看能不能在他们的lab做助手
Here, like before, the responses were mostly kind. I received a couple of positive answers, and at the end chose to go to a laboratory in Columbia University, hoping the professor I would work for would also write me a recommendation at the end - which actually happened, more than 6 months later. This was probably the most long-term plan I've ever accomplished :-)

I decided to also ask for a recommendation letter from a senior officer who worked with me for a few years in the Israeli army. The next letter I got was from a co-worker (clinical supervisor) with whom I've worked for about 6 months - he had a MA in psychology, so I was hoping his recommendation would help.

if I could work/volunteer at their labs. One of them agreed quite readily. I volunteered there, working with one of his post-docs, for over 6 months (8-15 hours every week). That professor ended up writing me a recommendation

关注下面的标签,发现更多相似文章
分享到:
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

1951 积分
主题
+ 关注